Thursday, February 11, 2010 | By: Slacker Mom

Yes, I Ask For Directions

I consider myself a fairly intelligent person. I keep up (somewhat) with current events, I can hold a conversation and not sound too much like an idiot, I can do basic math without having to count on my fingers and toes. But somehow I always manage to make myself look like a complete moron. I wish I had someone else to blame for this but it's my own doing.

I have a somewhat good sense of direction. If I drive someplace new, I can almost always find my way back out and can find my way there again next time. But on occasion, my brain cells turn off and I find myself driving around town in the complete opposite direction of my goal. I'm not lost. How can I be lost when I usually know exactly where I am? I am, however, nowhere near my intended destination and not always sure the best route to take to get there.

I wish I could say this rarely happens but this is me we're talking about. It happens more frequently than I would like to admit. I don't mind asking for directions but I usually resort to my own personal GPS--my mother. She's usually in front of a computer and can Mapquest my location for me. It's very helpful.

The only problem with this is that I will never be able to convince my mother that I am a capable, independent adult who can take care of herself. She knows me better than that. Just today I left her waiting for me at a restaurant for more than 30 minutes because I thought I knew where I was going. Even though all the signs pointed in the other direction (literally), I went the way that made sense to me.

Hmmm. I may have just discovered the source of my problems. This wouldn't be the first time that I've noticed things make sense to me in a way that no one else seems to get. Maybe if I just start doing things that DON'T make sense, I won't get lost. But then, where is the fun in that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment