Friday, February 12, 2010 | By: Slacker Mom

Movie Review: Coraline

If you haven't seen this movie yet, don't. I don't know what I was thinking. Libby picked it out from the library. I had reservations since A) it was from Tim Burton and B) the commercials had seemed a bit creepy. Well, it turns out I was right about the creepy.

The story is about a girl named Coraline who discovers a secret door in her new house that leads to a world where her parents, friends and life are all perfect, not like real life where she's often neglected and doesn't get her way. She likes this new world better than the old one of course.

The problem is that "New Mother" is one scary chick. She's evil and wants to suck out Coraline's soul. I watched this with my kids. I know, big mistake. What possessed me to do that and why didn't I reach over and hit the "stop" button on the remote? I have no idea, but I paid for it when both the boys woke up with nightmares.

This is definately NOT a children's movie despite what the marketing campaign may say. Not only do we have to deal with frightening other mothers, haunted ghost children and missing parents, we also have a neighbor with a size EEE chest who appears in pasties and bikini bottoms. Try explaining that one.

So unless you want to permanently scar your children and even your own psyche, skip this movie. (*)

0 comments:

Post a Comment