Thursday, February 11, 2010 | By: Slacker Mom

My Dear Jane

I never watch TV or movies during the day because I don't want my kids seeing or hearing things that are not appropriate. However, I do make an exception on laundry day. Laundry day isn't necessarily the day that I wash all our dirty clothes, but it is the day that I sit down and fold the four or five baskets full of clean clothes that I've already washed. Because this is such an automatic, mundane task, I have to have something to engage my brain. And so, out comes the chick flick.

But like I said before, I can't watch just any movie. It has to be clean. My favorite has been "Ever After", the Cinderella story with Drew Barrymore. I just adore this movie. My kids have seen me watch it so many times that when it comes on, Logan asks, "Is this the one where they throw the book into the fire?" As a matter of fact, it is. But Cinderella has now been replaced.

I now have copies of my favorite book-turned-into-a-movie. I have "Pride and Prejudice". I sit and fold my laundry while Keira Knightley plays Elizabeth Bennett on my TV. I just love this movie. I've seen it so many times that I can beat the characters to their lines. When I am in the kitchen, I watch the 6 hour BBC version with Colin Firth. See, in my kitchen I have a TV/VCR combo so my Keira Knightley DVD can only be enjoyed in the livingroom. But whether I am folding laundry or washing dishes, my beloved Jane Austen keeps me company.

I have to admit that I like Keira's version better. In the BBC version, Mrs. Bennett and Mr. Collins are so over the top they are more like caricatures. And while I'm not crazy about Keira's version of Jane and Matthew MacFayden lacks the presence and severity of Colin Firth, I still prefer the newer version.

Honestly, I would watch any version of "Pride and Prejudice". I love the way they dress, the way they talk, the way they adhere to all things "proper". And I love the way the movie is actually made. I'm a big fan of sweeping, uncut takes and the new version has so many great scenes like this, most taking place at the balls. Watch it just for the camera work. And the music. You can't forget the music.

My children sometimes roll their eyes and complain, "This one AGAIN?!" and sometimes they sit down and watch in spite of themselves. I don't mind either one as long as they don't interrupt my Jane Austen fix.

0 comments:

Post a Comment