Wednesday, April 8, 2009 | By: Slacker Mom

A Good OCD Day

I was walking through Walmart the other day, looking at all the Easter goodies when I saw it. It was as if someone read my mind and put up a display just for me. Just looking at it made me happy. They had arranged all the Easter candy by color. One whole section of the aisle was just for the yellow candy. Yellow peeps, yellow M&Ms, yellow suckers, yellow cookies. And then there was pink, green, orange, blue. Each little section was color coordinated. It was a dream come true. You laugh, but looking at it made it seem that everything was right in the world somehow. Why can't everything be arranged like this?

I love walking through fabric stores and seeing the bolts of calico lined up by their colors. I love passing the aisles of scrapbooking paper or ribbon or anything else that is arranged this way. Even swatches make me smile.

I love to see things organized and in their place. Of course, you wouldn't know it by looking at my house. I love to organize, not clean and yes, there is a difference. My favorite articles in my scrapbooking magazine are the ones that show other crafter's workrooms. I finally got a room like that of my own. I can sit and look at everything for hours. I think I'd rather sit and look at the nice organization than actually make anything in there.

The other day I went to my mom's and organized her pantry and finished putting her office together. It was a good day. I like it when everything has its place. In my house, most everything has a place, it just isn't always in it. And I'm okay with that sometimes. As long as I know that it has a place to go whenever I get around to cleaning.

My kids get frustrated because I'm always moving things around. But I can't help it if I think of a more efficient way to store something. That's just the nature of the beast. And while I am not actually OCD, those tendencies are quite obvious in many members of my family. The worst thing for my kids is they are just like me. Well, the boys are anyway. Poor things!

My husband surprised me with a great gift one day. He brought home a catalog for kitchen remodeling. It had all those great organizing things like drawer pull outs and pantry dividers and baskets and shelving. He's so good to me. And you know I love it when the IKEA catalog comes in the mail. Forget the furniture, I want to look at the space savers and bookshelves.

I would rather organize my scrapbook stuff than make a scrapbook, and I love to scrapbook. I need to make a career out of this but I'm not sure how. I've actually looked at the professional organization companies but I'd rather work for myself. Wouldn't it be great, though, to actually make money doing something you loved? What a concept.

0 comments:

Post a Comment